In 2016 and 2017 we partnered up with the Bike Hub and South African Mountain Biking legend, Steve Bowman, to present podcasts where we discussed common training and nutrition questions. Questions were submitted by readers of the Hub and we answered them, as we tried our best not to get sidetracked.
The episodes are available below for your listening pleasure.
The topics covered in Episode One:
- Demystifying a rumour that Steve Bowman wheelied from Hout Bay to Camps Bay (at 1 minute 40 seconds)
- At what intensity point does your body utilize fat to a greater extent than carbohydrates and protein? (at 2 minutes 40 second)
- What causes cramps and what is the best way to prevent it or relieve it when it happens? (at 11 minutes 42 seconds)
- I am moving from the half marathon distance to the full marathon distance next year. How should my training change for the increased distance? (at 22 minutes 15 seconds)
- Is there a way to get better at riding in high temperatures? (35 minutes 35 seconds)
- Would riding with a dropper seat post be beneficial within South African marathon races? (at 46 minutes 44 seconds)
This episode of the podcast first featured on www.bikehub.co.za on the 15th of December 2016.
The topics covered in Episode Two:
- Is there a desired training stress score (TTS) that you should be looking for? (at 36 seconds)
- With the correct pedals stroke, will there still be dead spots? (at 9 minutes 40 seconds)
- How important is base training? Are there more efficient options? (at 21 minutes 18 seconds)
- For someone with limited training time, is it more beneficial to focus on cycling for fitness or is cross-training worthwhile? (at 28 minutes 28 seconds)
- I want to start training more seriously, should I buy a power meter for my average aluminium road bike or should I rather use the money towards a good carbon race bike? (at 34 minutes 37 seconds)
This episode of the podcast first featured on www.bikehub.co.za on the 9th of March 2017.
The topics covered in Episode Three:
- What are the benefits and drawbacks of combining starvation with high-intensity interval training (HIIT)? (at 30 seconds)
- What’s the best training advice someone has ever given you? (at 7 minutes 44 seconds)
- How should one consume energy drinks and gels in long events? (at 8 minutes 20 seconds)
- How important is the role of genetics in an athlete’s VO2 max? (at 15 minutes 13 seconds)
- Beating the afternoon slump. Early morning training vs evening training? (at 28 minutes 48 seconds)
This episode of the podcast first featured on www.bikehub.co.za on the 22nd of May 2017.